The most common trend for Eczema sufferers nowadays is to find more natural ways to relieve their symptoms, so can fish oil help Eczema? Many research studies have shown that dietary and lifestyle changes can have a positive effect on Eczema.

Fish oil has many benefits and is a supplement that many Eczema sufferers use, as it has powerful anti-inflammatory properties. My mother actually got me to take fish oil when I was young, but does it actually have any real effect on treating Eczema?

What is Fish Oil?

Fish oil normally comes from oily fish, such as tuna, herring, anchovies and mackerel. It is the fat or oil that is extracted from the fish tissue. 70% of the fish oil is made up of fats, whereas the remaining 30% is made up of omega-3s. Fish oil usually contains vitamins A and D.

brown and yellow medication tablets

Can Fish Oil help Eczema?

When trying out any new supplements or products to treat Eczema, the goal is to control and soothe symptoms and prevent any flare-ups caused by Eczema. The most important component of treating Eczema is preventing inflammation.

What is inflammation? Inflammation can protect against illness and infection as it is a normal immune response. Chronic inflammation can lead to harmful health effects. Fish oil is rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which have powerful anti-inflammatory properties. This can help prevent the development of Eczema

Research is still ongoing to this day, but many of the studies have shown that fish oils can benefit those with inflammatory diseases. The supplement can be used to treat Eczema due to its anti-inflammatory potential, but larger studies are needed.

Fish Oil Eczema Studies

There is a lack of research tying the benefits of fish oil to Eczema. It is important to take note that despite the findings of these studies, a larger scale needs to be conducted.

In a 16 week study, positive results were gained with people with moderate to severe Eczema. It demonstrated that supplementing daily with omega-3 fats reduced Eczema severity by 50% in over 80% of the participants.

number of studies on fish oil supplements and Eczema in 2012 showed positive results. It showed that fish oil significantly improved the quality of life for Eczema users and improved itchiness symptoms.

Despite the positive results, the studies were small scale and larger studies are needed to verify fish oil as a recommended alternative treatment for Eczema.

In a dated study from 2002, it was found that infusion therapy with fish oil resulted in improvement in severe Eczema for 22 hospitalized people. It showed more significant results than an infusion of soybean oil.

How should we use Fish Oil?

brown gel close-up photography

Fish oil provides many health benefits that are related to treating Eczema. It can improve heart health and reduce inflammation. There is not a lot of information of what is the recommended dosage for fish oil for Eczema.

Going by research, a dosage of 4500 mg of fish oil can reduce Eczema for children and is safe to use during pregnancy. With most supplements on the market containing around 1000 mg of fish oil per serving, it is recommended to follow the guidelines from the information label on the product.

Fish oil precautions

Fish oil is accessible on the market, making it a popular supplement for many and is considered safe to use for the majority of people. Side effects can occur from overdosing, with minor digestive symptoms like diarrhoea. It can prolong blood clotting times as well.

If you have any allergies to fish or shellfish, you should consult your doctor before taking fish oil as a supplement.


So can fish oil help Eczema? The answer is yes it can.

Fish oil has shown positive results with those who implement it in their daily routine. It reduces the severity of Eczema cases and has improved the quality of life for many. It has many health benefits that relate to Eczema, so it is definitely worth trialling.

More articles about Eczema 

Eczema Feed

Aveeno vs CeraVe vs Cetaphil

6 Common Eczema Triggers We Need To Know

5 Things Eczema Sufferers Should Carry In Their Bag